Thursday, October 8, 2009

The High Cost of Losing Weight

I've been contemplating the cost of competing in triathlons. It’s not cheap and I’m not a rich man. To date, I’ve gotten by with just rented equipment and few strategic purchases like a pair of quality running shoes. I will admit the cost is becoming a little daunting.

Here is a quick breakdown of the cost by element:

Swim:
  • Goggles - $20 x 2 = $40
  • Training Suit - $35 - $65
  • Wetsuit: $250- $500
  • or wetsuit rental: $25 per race ($50 - $100 annually)
Total: $125 - $605

The swim is the cheapest of the three elements, but it is not without some cost. The swim suits wear out in the chlorinated pool and need to be replaced regularly. My suit is showing some wear after six months. I have one pair of goggles right now though I’ve read that it is good to have a backup pair in the event that they break on race day.

Bike:
  • Race bike- $700 - $2,500+
  • Pedals - $100 - $300
  • Shoes -$100 - $150
  • Bike maintenance/supplies: $250+ annually
Total: $1,150+

The bike element is the most expensive. Today's bikes are super high tech and range from low end road bikes to aerodynamic triathlon bikes that can cost as much as $7,500. Some wheels can cost upwards of $1,500 - $2,000.

I’ve gotten by so far by renting bikes from local bike shops but it impairs my training.

Run:
  • Running shoes: $65 - $120
  • Training gear, clothes: $100
Additional Expenses:

USAT membership $39 (required for participation)
Race registration - $65 per race - $260 annually (four races)

Based on my calculations, it costs about $2,000+ annually or so, on the low end to compete in triathlons.

I don't want this to be seen as discouraging people. Its easy to do a triathlon on the cheap, but if you are going to get serious, the costs go up.



4 Comments:

At October 12, 2009 at 11:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, it makes hockey look cheap. Though I guess there's a big outlay in the beginning of hockey too for equipment. But once you have everything you can skate for years w/o much replacement. That would probably be true for tri's too once you get the basics-bike, shoes, wet suit etc.

A

 
At October 31, 2009 at 2:26 AM , Blogger Allvira said...

It seems a little costly as compared to other like cricket and other games also. Anyways, good stuff to know the ingredients & many mixture.

Allvira,
-----------------------
pass-guaranteed.com reviews

 
At November 2, 2009 at 4:18 PM , Blogger William Haynes said...

I agree with your post but disagree as well... if that makes any sense. Triathlon can be an expensive sport, but I competed this year in 3 triathlons (two sprints and an Ironman 70.3), as well as a few road races. My swim goggles were the same ones I used last year, so you could average those over two years. I rode my $300 mountain bike at all the events (Yes, even the Ironman 70.3). I've used that bike for the past two years events but will admit that I'm planning to graduate to a $2K bike next year. I want my legs less wiped when I begin the run of the Ironman 70.3. I expect that new bike to carry me for the next 4 or 5 years.

Tri's can be expensive but it can be done "on the cheap" if you decide you don't have to have all the same equipment as everyone else. At my last tri, I got third in my category. It was really fun screaming by some of the $2k bikes with my $300 mountain bike... Some primal satisfaction in that :-)

Anyway, I think I spent under $700 this year on the races and equipment. Next year, with some nicer gear my average cost will increase. I'm selling my motorcycle that I rarely use to buy the bike. Just a shift in priorities.

Thanks for letting me post!

 
At November 2, 2009 at 7:30 PM , Anonymous http://ifyoutri.blogspot.com said...

I started off 3 years with a small race called the beaver freezer and since then have been adicted to triathlon the better you do the more you spend and even if you don't buy the gear just signing up for a race is so expensive... Good job with all you have done so far!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home